Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Works for Me : writing game

My kids are not too fond of handwriting, or writing assignments. I ran accross a book of writing "games" and purchased it this school year hoping to find some helpful hints or ideas that could inspire them to use their imaginations and creativity and also get them to write more to strengthen their hands and their skills. So far we have done several games in this book and they have enjoyed all of them. I decided to share our newest favorite that also gives me 10 whole minutes of peace while they play and that really works for me!

Everyone has a pencil and paper. We set the rules : the kids get 10 minutes to write everything they see in the room down on their paper (or several rooms if you have an open concept house). Spelling doesn't matter as long as they can read it. After 5 minutes I start writing down my own list. When time was up, we scored them. I got 1 point for each word I wrote down. The kids also each got 1 point for every word they wrote. For every word they wrote that I did not write, they scored 3 points. The person who scores the most wins.

The kids also played this alone and my oldest took my place and got 5 minutes so it would be fair for the younger ones since she writes faster. My youngest actually drew pictures for his.

This has become their new favorite "pass the time" game and it is also something you could play when you are not at home and need to keep them entertained or in the car too maybe. For older kids you could change the time limits or the scoring to eliminate the advantage that one player has over the other. It's amazing how much they will write and not think of it as work!

For more great ideas check out Rock In My Dryer

2 comments:

The (Almost) Amazing Mammarino said...

This sounds great! I will definitely try this game. I'd like to try more as well. What is the name of the book?

Thanks!!!

The (Almost) Amazing Mammarino said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to tell me the name of the book and the author! What a coincidence - I should have known. Just tonight I was raving on and on about "Games for Math" by Peggy Kaye! I absolutely love her books. I will definitely have to pick up the writing one.

Thanks also for the comment about "circus life". Yep, the animal poop part really is true sometimes.

Thanks again!