Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Works for Me: quick house de-cluttering

Here is my tip for today. Have you ever noticed how little things seem to make big amounts of clutter? Like the junk/misc. drawer in the kitchen. All the stuff is small, but it all seems to belong in a different spot, which makes sorting it all out and putting all that little stuff away time consuming. I have the perfect solution, read on.

Today I faced my house. It has been growing clutter since.....Christmas I guess, after we had Christmas dinner with all the fam here. I have cleaned since then, mind you, but not really taken the time to clean up all the clutter that piles up and distributes itself around EVERYWHERE!! So today I grabbled a box, and I went around and threw all the clutter into it. Anything that was not in the correct room/spot. Anything that would fit into the box. Bigger things that wouldn't fit in the box got put away (although if I had a bigger box, I would have tossed those in too). Now I have this one box that needs sorted out this weekend when I have a little extra time. And I can carry the box from room to room to put stuff away. But not having to look at all that stuff everywhere sure does make it seem a lot more organized and cleaned up which always seems to mkae the day go better. It works great for when the housework seems overwhelming and you don't know where to begin.

For more great WFMW tips check out Rocks In My Dryer.

2 comments:

Kim Layton said...

Sounds good...you don't want to see my kitchen drawer! :)

Krisi and Adam said...

Great idea ... but I have a feeling the box would get put in teh garage and never be seen again -- in fact I think I have one or two out there now! Maybe I should add that to my to do list